,

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

THE $8 DRESS

Pin It Now!

IMG_1890 IMG_1886 copyIMG_1919 copy

You might say it’s a night gown, pool cover up or 60’s cult uniform. I say it’s a boho chic dress. And I evoke my trift-istic freedom to do so—the all important freedom for the finder to interpret obscure garments for which ever purpose she sees fit.

The really cool thing about thrifting is that different things attract different people, so depending on what you’re looking for, everyone comes home with something totally unique. For me, it’s always the sliver of a print or texture between the hangers that catch my eye. This luxe paisley print really got my attention at the Queanbeyan Vinnies (thanks to Heather from Heat Storm Blog for tipping me off to this place!). The cut itself was pretty daggy, just a straight up and down tee shirt dress of sorts. But as I recalled that amazing vintage tunic that my girl Jess from Once Twice Blog rocks so well, I was inspired to give it a go. At $8, I really had nothing to lose. Thanks to the fact that the dress is at least two sizes too big for me, the sleeve falls to a cool three quarter length and gives so much material to play with. Slipping on my wide brimmed fedora thanks to Choies and a pair of studded heels, this was an instantly easy breezy outfit for a relaxing weekend.

In other news, I don’t know if you recognize this cute little shop, but it could be one of Canberra’s little retail secrets. Tucked in the back of an alley on Geelong Street in Fyshwick, Down Memory Lane a veritable treasure trove (of The Little Mermaid scale) of vintage clothing, books, furniture and curiosities. I especially love their delightful collection of vintage bottles that would be perfect for your next alchemy lab. They also have by far the best collection of vintage childrens books in Canberra, characterised by their charming illustrated hard covers. Every time I visit I can’t help spending the best of an hour there just looking at everything. Have you been here, and what treasures did you uncover?

Wide Brimmed Fedora c/o Choies \\ Vintage Dress ($8) \\ Sportscraft Belt \\ Witchery Tote \\ Tony Bianco Studded Hels

IMG_1921 copy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment with Facebook!